Sunday, November 27, 2011

A 10-minute Scribble-Fest

Last night, my sisters and I decided to sit down and take 10 minutes to each write as much as possible of a story opening. The idea was to get it written down as quickly as possible instead of getting hung up in technicalities and writer's block.
Here is what I came up with. Enjoy, and bear in mind it was quickly written in 10 minutes...

Rain lashed at the windows and trickled down their faces. It was as if the house was crying. The black tree tops were scarcely visible against the dark night sky, but just visible enough that Adam was staring at them. They waved and tossed, like giant, pine fingers pointing upward with charisma. Footsteps sounded, and then there he was: cold and arrogant and—of course—champing at the inside of his own cheek. Adam rose, dislike showing in his movement, from the ladder-back chair he had occupied. Bolton must have the only chair in the sparsely decorated room. “It’s done,” he said, somewhat wearily and expectantly.

“So it’s done,” said Bolton as if reading a textbook. That was all.

“I need to go,” Adam said after a painful pause. He waited again.

Bolton shifted, making the chair complain. He rubbed the cold window-pane with the edge of his white sleeve, contemplating it with equal coolness. “You know, Adam, it’s over with you.” If he hadn’t used the man’s name, he could have been talking to the window, or the crying rain, or the storm outside.

5 comments:

  1. Bolton sounds like a pretty bad boss to work for, eh? Probably they're western characters. I don't know because I don't have a plan for the story at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OnlyServants' DaughterDecember 1, 2011 at 12:54 PM

    I thought your story opening was neat once I understood the concept of what was happening.
    At first I was not sure if he was outside or not so I got sort of confused. But we have to remember it was written in a short amount of time so there was only enough time for a portion of the story idea. So, long story short, I thought it was neat,and I wish I could see the whole (story idea) on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OnlyServants'OtherDaughterDecember 1, 2011 at 1:09 PM

    That was really fun! Mine was quite a different type of beginning, less action more description. I want to do the next Scribble Fest. I already have some ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OnlyServants'OtherDaughterDecember 1, 2011 at 1:10 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm... Sounds pretty ominous... I'm trying to figure out what's "done" exactly...

    To the KING be all the glory!
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete